Using the books and films together
In my last blog I talked about visual aids that I had used as a teacher many years ago and how I was bringing them up to date with films with notes.
In fact, the films I have made are to go with my books in the Ways into Science series and the notes, called Stop and Chat, are to extend your children’s interaction with the topic and with you.
Find out more about them at http://www.peterdriley.com/books/ways-into-science-series/
To use the book, film and resources simply follow these few steps.
1. Download the zip file and print off the Stop and Chat sheet. (The zip file also contains a quiz, answer sheet and experiment report sheet that you might like to use with the book).
2. Sit at the computer with your child with their book, and your Stop and Chat sheet and click on the film.
3. You may like to run through the film with your child without the Stop and Chat sheet so both of you can see how the topic is presented.
4. Play the film again but this time stop it at the times shown on the sheet and use the notes to ask your child about the topic or perform an activity. The stop and chat sheet has times at which you should stop the film and just … chat. Try it.
5. You may find that the notes suggest activities which you can do with your children and they can write them up on the report sheet downloaded from the zip file to keep a record of their developing science knowledge in a science file.
Please have a go and let me know how you got on by writing to email@example.com
If you liked this, you might like to receive my newsletter where I keep parents and teachers like yourself informed about...
- Fun and exciting lesson plans you can download freely from my site.
- Videos, presentations and other classroom materials to compliment my books.
- Teaching-related articles on my site with tips and ideas useful to you.
You'll receive no more than one or two emails per month and your address will never be sold or passed on to anyone else. You can unsubscribe at any time by simply clicking the unsubscribe link in the email. My mailing list is securely managed using mailchimp.com.